Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Climbing the Rockies


My trip to Calgary was a two part mission. I went to see my awesome friend Danni and to experience climbing outside on some real rocks. Calgary was beautiful and warm. The people reminded me why I love Canada...every one is so friendly here. On Saturday morning, I went with Danni and her friends to Heart Mountain in Kananaskis Park (K-Country). The first climb was a 5.7 on the smoothest friggin thing I've ever climbed. Many a times I just wanted to give up because my legs were shaking and I couldn't find a single thing to hold onto. Looking down would remind me of my life being dependent on a lil piece of rope. Thank god Kat is an awesome belayer. Eventually I made it up. I can say that this was definitely not my favorite climb. Next, we ventured to another area of the mountain to climb but unfortunately only Ranjit (one of the experienced climbers) could actually do it and sad part of it is that it was only a 5.6. Weird. The last climb of the day was the best! It was a 5.6 with interesting grips and some cragging. The route was roughly 100+ ft up and by the time you reached the top...you looked like an ant. Now just imaging climbing 29,000 feet. I guess this is my first step to climbing up Everest. 28,900 ft more to go! Woo hoo!





No comments: